Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hannah's Birthday

Today my youngest, Hannah, turned five!  Because we homeschool (which is going to be the theme of my post tomorrow, so come back, if you're interested in why we do) and several of our friends do too, we had the party during lunch today, Wednesday.  It was a Butterfly Birthday Party.  The kids played "catch the butterfly," which is a game Mark and I made up just like "pin the tail on the donkey," and then we gave everyone butterfly nets and they went to the yard to catch real ones.  It was a fun time!  I was blessed by how sweet and delighted Hannah was the whole time too.

As a side note: this morning when Hannah came out to find me reading on the couch she cuddled in my lap as I wished her a happy birthday.  It suddenly donned on me that she is FIVE.  A quick memory check reminded me that most of the parenting literature I have read says that children need the issue of authority resolved and solidified in their hearts by the time they are five.  In other words, life will go much better for them if, but the time they are five, they know they are not in charge, mom and dad are, and they are willing to obey mom and dad.  I've read it many times--it's what "they" say!  So, remembering that I said, "Hannah, who is your authority?"  She replied, "God."  Wow, I was genuinely surprised!  I know she said it because she's heard me say it so many times, not because she genuinely feels that way.  Then I said, "Right.  And who did God put in your life to help you learn to obey?"  She replied, "Mommy and Daddy."  Whew!  It appears that, by God's grace, authority has possibly been established in her life.  Not that she won't rebel--she has several times since this morning and I'm pretty sure she's going to be the most colorful of our bunch--but it was encouraging to at least hear her parrot what I've said to her many, many times!


Hannah took the camera from me and took several shots of her feet in these new high-heeled hand-me-downs, that she loves to wear nonstop. 

Super easy cake! They are just cut up 9-inch rounds. 

Catch the butterfly (pin the tail on the donkey).


Catching the real thing. 


Sweet birthday girl!  What a blessing she is.  



4 comments:

  1. Awwwww..... how sweet! Happy Birthday Precious Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts Jen. I can't wait to hear all about your homeschooling experience. We will be homeschooling the boys beginning this summer as we wait on our third baby's arrival in October. I'm excited, but know I have so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda! So good to hear from you. How old are your boys? And congrats on a new baby! Do you still blog, as well? If so, send me the address. Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zachary is five now and Ethan will be three in June. They have been going to a private Christian school where I am teaching part time, but with Zachary starting kindergarten in the fall and the new baby coming, we felt led to homeschool. I can't imagine Zachary being gone from home all day. We only go from 8-12 each day now. I haven't been a very good blogger lately, but I'll e-mail you the address soon. I'm planning to start posting more in a few weeks once my teaching job ends.

    ReplyDelete